Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Mona daaa..arrling…….. Sona kaha hai…..?


During the last days of my graduate college, my Badee Didi asked me to make a CV and start applying for the campus placements. In the hobbies section of that CV, using my “chalaak lomdi type dimaag” I put, SLEEPING. This heroic act of mine was followed by “do thappad” from my sister and me being forced to write fictitious hobbies like stamp collection and music etc. (The other hobbies I was forced to delete were avoiding homework, Collecting toothbrush handles and Writing Tabloids on my neighbors). Now if I got through any job interviews using that fictional CV is another story but for now let me speak of my real factual hobby, i.e. sleeping.


I have many excellent qualities, but once I go to sleep, it takes atleast a string quartet singing qawallis at blaring sound levels to wake me up (Lead singers of this quartet ought to be nothing less than Altaf Raja, Bappi Lahiri, Narendra Chanchal and Shabbir Kumar). A Yawn generated in any corner of the room catches my attentive eye and with due respect I try to reciprocate the gesture with an even wider one. I have thus established a “Yawn Sambandh” of sorts with many people who share this hobby. Some people make tall claims that they have a cure for this itch, as seen, painted on the walls surrounding all major railway tracks in northern India: “Yawn Rogi” fauran milein, hotel sunshine, bus stand ke peeche, Dr. Juneja, but I sincerely doubt their expertise regarding this matter.


I have enjoyed different aspects of sleeping throughout my life. I have latched the room from inside and slept like a horse, forcing my parents to get the door broken, but miserably failing in disturbing my sound sleep. While sleeping, I had once dropped my Pillow on a burning Kachua Chaap, without realizing that the room was soon filling up with smoke. The only comment I had to make in my sleep regarding this was that “lagta hai koi neeche ke flat me hawan kar raha hai”. I have sleep walked as well, taking a tour of my home at 3:00 AM which ended at counting all the tomatoes in the fridge. And since the day doesn’t provide ample opportunity for me to express my thoughts, at times I do sleep talking as well. I have dozed off while talking on the phone. I have also enjoyed naps during classes and exams. Once an irate teacher woke me up with his sarcastic comment, “Miss Sharma ..aaaa…. Am I singing a lullaby??... I can’t understand… How do you manage to sleep inside the class, outside the class, inside your hostel room, in the morning, during night, during exams, when I can’t sleep a wink till 4 AM…” (I so wanted to say that sar umar ka takazza hai, aur hamara caliber hai, warna ye sabke bas ki baat kahan?)


Sleeping is not a simple act, there are different kinds of sleeps that I have encountered.

The Cinemaa-Scope Sleep: This is the act of intentionally falling asleep next to a laptop playing your favorite movies or movies with your favorite stars. For example to get a John Abraham infested dream, I would intentionally play Jism and go off to sleep. * the contents of the dream shall not be disclosed due to censorship laws *

The Sleep Jam: No, It’s got nothing to do with jam and bread, you hungry type ke people! This is the act of sleeping with ear phones on, listening to your favorite music throughout your sleep. This usually ends with either your mp3 player falling off during the time of your hourly bed roll or can at certain times lead to some very nice musical numbers like “Tumsa koi pyaara koi masoom nahi hai , kya cheese ho tum khud tumhe malum nahi hai” getting stuck in your head for the whole day.

The Sleep Coma: Usually an alcohol infested sleep, when you are not aware of your where-abouts. I have seen people sleep under a heapful of books (and they were not studying), on the staircase, in the washrooms and corridors as well.

The Sleep Flux: The point in time when you'd usually be sleeping, but the computer monitor or the TV is keeping you awake. You are too tired and lazy to turn off the damned thing (even if it is a re-run of “Rakhi ka swayamvar” or some random shaitaani site that you opened a minute ago) The boredom is so great, that you think the prospect of sleeping is too boring to try. You'd rather keep listening to music on your iPod late into the morning

Sleep scars: These are marks left on your face or body by pillows, night-wear or bed-sheets after a goodnight's rest. These marks can give you a scare, as you end up looking like some character out of an Alien movie or a person who has just escaped from the trap of Jigsaw from a SAW movie

Sleep Shoot: The Picture portfolio of your photographs taken in compromising positions by your back stabbing friends and ill-wishers when you were sleeping during a class or at work. Usually a Sleep shoot acts as a good bargaining chip or just as a tool for your humiliation.

The Sleep Nazis: A person (generally your roommate), who insists on sleeping at a certain time each night and will even try to convince you to sleep early too. Although this person will try to dilute your intellectual capabilities by forcing you to watch serials like Sanjeevani, Utaran and some random serial based on “Baal-Vivah”, running at blaring sound levels but you can’t even think of watching a late night movie on your laptop because this person cannot sleep with a computer monitor on and doesn't budge even if you offer to position the monitor so as not to disturb him/her. Usually uptight about really minor stuff. Gets pissed off easily at night.


I am 39% bored in life (Souce: Facebook Quiz: How bored are you?, edition June 19th, 2009) and hugely inspired by the great napping legends like Narsimha Rao, Haradanahalli Doddegowda Deve Gowda, Atal Bihari Vajpayee from the spheres of politics(Ye…“Mr. Prime Minister takes a small nap, someone nudges from behind, Vajpayee jee Wakes up all startled”… Acchi Baat Nahi hai!) and the likes of Hemant Kumar from the music Industry who preferred to sleep even while singing (Ye raat *nap* ye chaand….*dozing*…nee *Yawn* fir kahan…). So sleeping is my favorite refuge. India ke wicket jaldi gir gaye, Solution: So jao. Flight do ghante late hai, Solution: So jao. There is no one in your house to talk to, Solution: So Jao. Traffic bahut jyada hai...gaadi chalaate chalaate so jao. Exam kal hai, padhne ka man nahi hai, so jao. Footpath khaali hai...so jaao… Lift abhi tak mere floor pe nahi pohnchi, so jao… Barish ho rahi hai, So jao… Dhoop pad rahi hai, So jao… Movie Boring hai, So jao. My Sleepatite can put the likes of Kumbhakaran to shame. At times I fail to realize that how did my 5 minute nap turn into a 5 hour sleepathon, I guess I am a “Sleep” Junkie, but I am proud to be one.


Anyways, It's not easy to juggle a stressful job and household chores, but somehow I manage to fit in eight hours of Sleep a day. Now if you'll excuse me I have some Z’s to catch.


16 comments:

Unknown said...

Who knows better than me???Anyone who can ever get to know the repercussions of "Sleep" that I have suffered in the past three months is surely going to have sympathies with me.

The other person can't even understand that I feel more like a victimised Jew (in context of The Sleep Nazis) after going through such a "REGULAR" ordeal.

After reading "The Sleep Coma" I just wonder how many times these people might have been robbed of their belongings or how many times a street dog might have tried to wake them up either by licking their face or by any other (wet) means.

One of the biggest question playing a bout with my ideas in my head is that who can go/goes - off to sleep listening to - "Tumsa koi pyara koi masoom nahi hai,kya cheez ho ye khud tumhey maloom nahi hai".Aur kabhi maloom ho bhi kaise sakta hai - for obvious reasons - SLEEP.

By this time now after reading such a "sleepy" post I'm sure that what phrase and the person you hate the most.The honour goes to the watchman who keeps on honking - Jaagtey raho..........

The Misdirected Arrow said...

Anupam you are suffering from sleeprivation (lack of the necessary amount of sleep). Pull yourself together man! Join my club and discover the joys of sleeping...

Tanni said...

Hmmm, well, "Sleepathon Saga" missed out an important section - 'Loo Sleep': that part of sllep, that is enjoyed in the rather tight spaced, yet cosy environs of the loo! Needless to so, if such a luxury is afforded on any given day in the office itself, its a much sweeter experience!!!
Aru behan, how could u miss such an imp pt. tht has been the shining star of your office life.
one fine sunny, sweaty, bright Mumbai afternoon, our Aru comes and sits on her sit with a thud. On being asked, kya hua beahan, the reply received is:
"Heeheee"
"Paagal ho gayi hai kya? Kya hua tere ko?"
" Mai so gayi thi"
"Kahaan?"
"Loo mein! (Giggles) Mai gayi, neend aa rahi thi yaar, toh maine dhakkan neeche kiya, gaane lagaaye, aur so gayi!"
"Tu aisa kaise kar saktai hai bey? I mean, how could u konk off in the shit pot?"
"Abey dimaag ki dahi mat kar! Neend aayi, so gayi! Kaunsa poora din soi hu, aadha ghanta hi toh tha!!"

This said with the nose held high, as if the expedition to Mars had been completed by Aru only!
Though i could challenge anyone on having a sleepin comptn with her! Boss, this gal dsnt need pills! infact she could sell her blood to pharma cos makin drugs for sleeping etc. M sure they ll discpover arare virus or smth tht could help them make some better sleepin pill - The Aru Pill!!!!Howzzat?

The Misdirected Arrow said...

Control Varun Control... Bhai... Har baat har jagah bolne waali nahi hoti... Bay me, seat pe MD aur other senior logon ke saamne soti to zyada accha lagta kya??
Shaanti me sona behtar tha...
You should bloody understand that i used to be up all night talking on the fone... ab office me neend nahi aayegi to kya pizza ki delivery aayegi??

Tanni said...

Haan behan haan, tu toh raat bhar matke phod phod ke jagti thi na...ab asliyat toh tujhe bhi pata hai...n lets not get into dos details, lest Nupe gets Dupe in this!!!!

the lazy knight said...

dude..do something abt that black background of yours...its freaks out my eyes when i go from that to the white background of the comments page :P
very interesting post...i found a lot of 'sambandh' in it since i am a sleep junkie meself...infact i have been labelled a 'yawn on demand'...i can yawn at any time of the day in any setting...its as natural as sleeping. and yes i v had sleep adventures as well. once i had locked the house and gone asleep when the parents and a couple of relatives were out. they wasted 30 mins banging the bell and the door before finally my armyman uncle had to summon his commando skills, scale a wall, jump in the balcony and force the door open

AB said...

hahahahaaha! inna pyaaar hai neend se!!!
mast post!
zzz post!

thank gawd.. i dnt have any Yawn sambandh with u since even if I try I cannot sleep that much as u do!

peter said...

You are indeed one of the funniest female bloggers i have ever seen :)

I have a record of sleeping for more thn 19 hours straight ..what about u?

So u are like Joey, when it comes to writing a resume ..arentu ?

And Btw i think u have missed one category called COMOD SLEEP ..It's a sleep when u put a tooth brush in ur mouth early morning and take a nap for at least 15 mins ..on the comod ..till either the saliva starts rolling down ur lips ur u get up by the foul smell surrounding u !

Mads said...

the post was toooooooo long but i read each n every sentence..and u write too well :D
ur so funny. awesome post.
sleep well ;)
p.s- genuine doubt- how come u sleep only for 8 hours a day? :O
p.p.s- u look sleepy in ur pic :D

The Misdirected Arrow said...

@ Affy - humko malum hai... Tum class me attentive hone ki acting karta tha but actual me mann hee mann tum bhi so raha hota tha man!
@ Abhinav - Dekho beta sone ka to hisaab ye hai ki... sone kee ghar me hamare koi kami nahi hai... jab chahe jahan chahey so lo...
@ Peter - My record is of 26 hours, mind it main zyada nahi soti!, and about the COMOD sleep, I have done that in office too, but i aint proud of it, so poore jahan me announce nahi kiya!
@ Mads - 8 hours is for the one long night's sleep on a weekday... I did not mention the naps that i take while at work, on weekends, in the auto, while talking to people etc. if i average it out, it will be a 12 hour sleep per day (Minimum)

Stupidosaur said...

Misdirected Aru, I hereby certify you crazy, after reading all your 9 posts!

Ekdum mazaa aaya!

The Misdirected Arrow said...

@stupidosaur - thnx fr becoming my certifying authority. No i call myself "Stupidosaur accredited"

Anonymous said...

'Yawn sambandh'...Too cool....just cant stop laughing...:D

laddu said...

sote raho....sote raho.... ;);)

Stupidosaur said...

Ladki, post something new!

I read all your (not even 10 :P) posts long ago. only too lazy to comment everywhere.

But definitely waiting for more of your special variety of action here!

Anonymous said...

wow .. . .i'm a proud to say sleeping is my hobby.